These is my first time doing open faced tarts. I did a comparison between a few online recipes and decided to follow
Who did modifications to The Little Teochew recipe
I used SCS unsalted butter for this recipe and Bake King pineapple paste.
Roll the pineapples about weight 6gm before you prepare the pastry
I used only half the recipe as I already used some pineapple paste for my enclosed tarts
200 gm plain flour
25 gm corn flour
1/4 tsp fine salt
140 gm unsalted butter cut into cubes
1.5 egg yolks beaten
1.5 tbsp ice cold water
3 tbsp icing sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
Pastry glaze - mix 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp water
1. Cut the butter into cubes n keep in the fridge
2. Sift the flour, icing sugar and salt together.
3. Using a fork,rub the cubed cold butter into the flour until it looks like find bread crumbs. It will take a while maybe I should buy a pastry cutter for future use!
4. Beat together the egg yolks, cold water n vanilla essence and add into the butter flour mixture. Using finger tips gently coax the crumbs into one large dough ball. Do not knead the dough. Stop once all the crumbs come together.
5. Divide the dough into 2 and wrap with cling wrap and chill in fridge for 10 minutes.
6. Take one dough n roll between grease proof paper into a thickness about 4-5 mm. Don't roll too thin if not the pastry will break easier after baking.
7. Prepare tray with baking paper. For easier removal of cookies.
8. Dip the cookie cutter into flour and cut the dough. Remove and place n prepared tray.
9. Use the pattern mould and press in the cut out dough.
10. Repeat and place all the tarts about 1.5 cm apart. Glaze all the tarts entire surface.
11. Bake for 5 minutes at 175 degree celcius.
12. Remove and glaze only the rims. Place the pineapple ball in the centre. You can decorate the top of the pineapple ball with pastry n glaze.
13. Bake for about 12 mins more till the pastry looks golden brown
14. Cool the tarts in the wire rack and keep in airtight container
I find the tart shells a bit flaky and even though I used ready made pineapple paste, the jam still tastes good.
Enjoy the Chinese New Year holidays!