First attempt at Panna Cotta - which is defined as an Italian dessert made by simmering together cream, milk, and sugar, mixing this with gelatin, and letting cool until set. It is also described as an silky eggless white custard.
My friend showed me a Panna Cotta dessert she had in Taiwan and I searched the internet for a recipe which I hope I can try. There are lots of recipes available and I decided to do a Cream Cheese Panna Cotta. Original recipe is titled Mascarpone Panna Cotta comes from www.food.com and I paired it with strawberries compote from another recipe in www.taste.com.au. A compote is described as a cooked fruit dessert which combines an assortment of fruits and a rich thick syrup.
Ingredients for Panna Cotta :
1 tablespoon mik
1 1/4 teaspoons unflavoured gelatin
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese (I used Kraft cream cheese)
1/4 cup sour cream
1. In a small bowl, pour 1 tablespoon milk
2. Sprinkle the gelatin, and allow it to soften about 10 minutes.
3. Combine the cream, 1/3 cup milk, vanilla and 1/4 cup sugar in a saucepan.
4. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often.
5. Remove from heat, add gelatin mixture and stir until melted.
6. Let the mixture cool slightly down to a warm temperature.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth.
8. Slowly add in the now warm cream mixture into the bowl, whisking constantly.
9. Spray 3 or 4 ramekins with cooking spray.
10. Pour the mixture inside the ramekins.
11. Chill until cold and set (3 -4 hrs and up to 12 hrs). Run a small knife around the edge of the ramekins to loosen the panna cotta.
12. If it doesn't work, dip the bottom of the ramekin in hot water for a few seconds.
13. Invert the ramekin onto a plate.
Strawberry Compote Ingredients
3 tablespoons of strawberry jam.
3 tablespoons of cold water.
12 pcs of small strawberries, hulled.
1. Place the jam and cold water in a small saucepan.
2. Stir over low heat till jam melts.
3. Add strawberries and stir to coat in jam.
4. Cool before use.
5. Spoon over panna cotta and serve.
Note : I did not stir my strawberries in the low heat so they remained firm. Actually should stir them in heat till they soften a little. Next time I shall do that.
Gelatin absorbed by milk
Bring ingredients to a boil.
After whipping the cream cheese and sour cream
After combining the boiled cream and whipped cheese and sour cream
Into the ramekins
Panna cotta set.
After inverting the panna cotta.
Melting the strawberry jam.
My strawberries for decoration on the panna cotta.
Tasty, and a nice combination of sweet and sour taste. Firm enough to hold the fruits on the panna cotta. I managed to make 3 portions.
Do try out this recipe, I am sure they will be well received! Enjoy!