Today I managed to make cream puffs with 2 types of fillings. Browsing through different recipes available, I finally married several recipes online to create my puffs.
|Custard Cream Puffs|
|Banana Mousse Puff|
I used Crispy Shell Cream Puffs Recipe from littlejapanmama blog.Cream puff pastry (Choux) as follows with a little adjustment. http://www.littlejapanmama.com/2011/09/pai-shuu-cream-puff-recipe-like-beard.html
120g butter (unsalted)
3/4 cup water
1 1/3 cup plain flour, sifted (about 156gm)
4 eggs (55gm each - her original recipe is for 5 eggs)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1. Cut the slightly cold butter into smaller pieces into the large saucepan. I melted it on the stove slightly with the salt and sugar before I added in the water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and
2. Immediately tip in the flour all at once, and beat with a wooden spoon till a firm dough forms. When the dough able to roll away leaving a film on the bottom of the saucepan, then it is done.
3. I placed the dough into my Kenwood Kmix and used the K spade and immediately beat it at about 3 speed to let the steam escape from the hot dough.
4. Prepare your oven - turn to 200 degree Celcius.
5. Whisk 4 eggs in a separate bowl. Fork will do.
6. When the dough has become almost lukewarm, slowly pour about 1 egg portion at a time into the bowl. Beat until the mixture is glossy and when you lift up the pastry with your spoon, it does not drop easily.
6. Line your tray with non stick baking paper such as Glad Bake. Pipe into rounds.
7. Bake at 200 celcius for 20 mins. Then turn temperature to 180 celcius and bake for 17 mins.
8. Leave oven door slightly ajar and let the puffs cool completely before use.
120g unsalted butter
Add the flour
Film left when dough is done
Pastry will hang down from spoon. Batter is glossy look
I only managed 12 pcs
Please take note :
Different oven and climate, temperature varies - Original recipe used 220 for 25 - 30 mins and turn to 100 degrees for 40 mins or more to dry the puffs.
Custard cream recipe taken from Happyhomemaker88's Virtual Home http://happyhomemaker88.com/2007/09/17/yummy-cream-puffs-recipe/
3 large egg yolks
200 gm caster sugar
750 ml milk
20 gm flour
20 gm cornstarch
1/2 tsp vanilla.
1. Beat egg yolk and sugar till until white. ( Mine did not turn white but I beat till quite soft)
2. Put in flour, cornstarch, vanilla and mix till smooth. Pour in milk bit by bit while mixing until sugar is dissolved. (My mixture looked foamy)
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils and is thick.
4. Cool before putting into puffs.
I cooled my custard cream, cover the pot and left it in the fridge before use.
Banana Mousse recipe taken from this blog http://wwwfollowingmydreamsandtotscom.blogspot.sg/2011/03/cream-puff-with-banana-mousse-filling.html
250gm ripe and firm bananas ( I used Delmonte)
60 gm icing sugar sieved
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
11gm Gelatine Powder
33 ml water
100ml Whipping Cream (I used Emborg)
1. Put the water into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin powder over the water, use spoon to quickly incorporate then leave aside for 3 to 5 minutes for the Gelatine to solidify.
2. In a small pan, combine the bananas, icing sugar and lemon juice on low medium heat n simmer for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Off fire and mash the bananas with a fork and no need to be super smooth.
3. Double boil your gelatin make sure not to over boil it.
4. Add a little first of the hot gelatin to the banana mousse and then stir the rest of gelatin scraping the bowl clean. Set aside.
5. Whip the whipping cream manually till get soft peaks. Then fold the whipping cream into the Banana Mousse mixture and add lemon zest. Cling wrap and put in the fridge.
Pipe into the puffs or cut open the puffs and spoon onto the bottom half.
use about 2.5 pcs of ripe banana
After about 2 mins
Mashed with fork
After gelatin melted
added whipped cream 100ml
Clingfilm and put to fridge