Translate

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Banana Cheese Cake


This is the last bake for 2013.  Still using bananas.
I had 4 bananas left and I didn't want to repeat the banana chocolate muffins which I did yesterday. I also had sour cream in my fridge.

I looked for banana recipes and bingo! About.com has this recipe Banana Cake with Cinnamon Glaze Recipe. It actually is a bit similar to yesterday's banana muffins and other banana bread I have done before but this cake is using a rectangular pan. 13 x 9 inch. Original recipe is from Peggy Trowbridge Filippone. I made a little adjustment by adding cheese.

Recipe
Dry ingredients
1.5 cups of plain flour (195gm)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (omitted because my children doesn't like them)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix the above using a whisk in a small bowl and set aside.

Wet ingredients
1 cup of caster sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil ( I used corn oil)
1 cup mashed bananas ( 2 large size bananas)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract ( I used essence)

Preheat the oven to 180 deg celcius (350 F)
Line the 9 x 13 inch pan.

Use a large bowl, beat sugar and oil.
Add bananas, sour cream, eggs and vanilla essence.
Beat for 2 minutes until thoroughly combined.
Using a large fork, stir in dry ingredients by hand stirring only until combined.
At this point, add in a handful of shredded cheese, I used Perfect Italiano Pizza Plus.
Combine in the batter.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes until lightly browned and top springs back when lightly touched.  Let cool to room temperature.

If you want to follow the recipe wholly, here is the glaze recipe.
Cinnamon Glaze recipe

1 cup confectioners' sugar or icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk or cream

Whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and milk or cream.  Add only enough cream to make a spreadable glaze. Top cooled cake with the cinnamon glaze before cutting.

Serves 24 to 36 servings, depending on cut size.

After 30 minutes 


This is about half the cake cut into pieces 

I think I will add some nuts next time as the cake is a bit thin but the taste is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment