Translate

Sunday 2 June 2013

Steamed Pumpkin Rice Flour Cake


Steamed Pumpkin Rice Flour Cake

This recipe is from thelazychef.wordpress.com


I have lessened the amount from the original recipe as I feared I may not be able to do a proper cake but it turned out quite right.  It can be improved by making the seasoning stronger, perhaps adding slightly more salt.


Original recipe Ingredients :

800 g pumpkin - after skin n seeds removed and sliced into thin pcs.
( I used only about 550g)

Batter Mix
500 g rice flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
6 cups hot water

Fillings
80 g dried shrimps ( I used only 50 g) soften with water and minced
2 Chinese sausages diced ( I omitted)
70 g preserved wax Chinese ham ( I omitted)
15 Chinese dried mushrooms (soften and sliced thinly) ( I used only 8 pcs)
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper


Method :

1. Use a wok and steam your cut up slices of pumpkin and mash them while still hot and set aside.


After steaming on high for 10 minutes


After mashing
2. Mince your dried shrimps and shred the mushrooms. 

3.  Use 2 tablespoon of oil to fry the shrimp till fragrant and then add the mushrooms ( and also Chinese sausages/ham) together with the tablespoon of salt and 1 tsp of pepper. Fry for 3 minutes and set aside. 




4. In a separate wok, I used a deep pot instead, pour in your batter and add in the 6 cups of hot water slowly while stirring to prevent lumps from forming.




Looks like coconut milk!
5. Add in the mashed pumpkin and mix well. Add in the filling ingredients and mixed well.  
 Note :If you want stronger taste, please increase your salt.
6.  Turn fire to low and stir continuously until batter is dry and sticky.


Perhaps the mixture can go drier but I stir over in a pot and so it is still a bit wet.

7.  Prepare a square tin and line with plastic - I cut open a large plastic sandwich bag and lined the tin.  My square tin is 200mm x 200mm x 56mm. 
Other recipes online says can oil the tin. 
Pour your mixture in and steam at high heat for 1hr or more. 
 If the skewer comes out clean, remove from fire, cool it and then cut.  If you put in fridge overnight, it is even easier to cut.

Steaming the pumpkin mix.


After steaming for about 1 hr 15 minutes.


Last nite when I made it, I didn't cool it down sufficiently to cut it as I was eager to eat it!


This piece I cut today after overnight in the fridge.  Serve it with some fried shallots and soy sauce.  You can also dribble some sesame oil over it to eat!



Enjoy cooking!














No comments:

Post a Comment