I found this recipe Mini Pumpkin-sage balls from recipebridge.com. When I went to buy sage, they were sold out. I made mine without sage in the end but they are still excellent.
I increased my ingredients from the original recipe but still ended up with 17 balls.
Recipe Baked Pumpkin Balls - makes 17 balls
180 gm pumpkin puree (Malaysia pumpkin excluding the skin)
1/2 onion finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
60 gm panko crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon
1 egg, beaten
2-3 tablespoon oil for frying
others - 1 frying pan and spatula, 1 medium mixing bowl, 1 small bowl to beat egg, 1 baking tray, cooking spray. chopping board and knife, steamer to steam pumpkin, bowl for pumpkin
- Cut the pumpkin to smaller chunks and place inside a bowl. Weight of pumpkin 180gm. Using a electric steamer I steamed the pumpkin 20 minutes. Maybe 15 minutes will be sufficient.
- While pumpkin is cooking, dice the onion and garlic.
- Heat up the frying pan with 2-3 tablespoon oil.
- Fry the onion till brownish.
- Add in the garlic and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Do not use any charred onion or garlic which will give bitter taste.
- Next, prepare a medium mixing bowl
- Put the panko crumbs, salt, black pepper inside and mix.
- Remove the pumpkin from the steamer and mash with a teaspoon.
- Add pumpkin into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Add in the cooked onion and garlic.
- Beat the egg and pour inside the bowl.
- Mix everything up well.
- Turn oven to 190 degree celcius.
- Spray a cooking tray with cooking spray.
- Wash your hands and form 16-17 balls about the size of small fishballs.
- Put them on the tray.
- Bake for up to 12 minutes only. Remove from the tray when bottom of balls is browned.
- Do not bake too long or the ball may stick to your tray. Remove immediately and put onto a plate.
- Can eat on its own or serve it with tabasco sauce recommended in original recipe.
Oil the tray with cooking spray n place the formed pumpkin balls