Translate

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Baked Mooncakes with macadamia nuts

This recipe is from Xin Flavours and originally called Walnut Mooncake by Theresa Wong but I used macadamia nuts instead.

The upper photo shows what I bought from the store and my own baked mooncake below with the sesame seeds. Close enough I think but perhaps I should have made the skin pastry a little thicker.
 
Anyway, I think it is a good attempt for a first try.
 
Ingredients
Pastry
120 g flour (Sieved)
30 g butter (Chilled and cut into small cubes)
70 g sugar syrup
1/8 tsp alkaline water
 
Egg Wash
1 egg and 1/4 tsp sugar syrup
 
Filling
500g white lotus paste, 120g walnut or a small pack of macadamia nuts, 5 salted egg yolk (separate each egg yolk into 4 portions) 2 tsp roasted sesame seed (white) but I used black ones.
 
Note : since the recipe doesn't clarify cooked or uncooked egg yolk, I decided to steam 4 salted egg yolks with drizzled rice wine for about 6 mins and then remove.
 
Method :
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius.
  2. Place flour and chilled butter in a mixing bowl, lightly knead till it resembles bread crumbs.
  3. Pour in syrup and alkaline water, knead gently into a dough. Leave aside.
  4. Knead lotus paste and divide into 20 portions, wrap round salted egg yolk. (each paste should be 25gm)
  5. Divide dough into 20 pcs, flatten it, wrap round the lotus paste with macadamia or walnuts on both ends. I used about 15 gm I think for the skin.
  6. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seed on top.
  7. Bake for about 25-28 minutes.
Although the recipe says 20 but I couldn't manage 20 pcs as the pastry seemed not enough.  So I suggest reducing the filling to say about 400gm only. I made only 12 pcs.
 
I also made my own sugar syrup by boiling about 140 gm sugar with 70 gm water. 2 parts sugar to 1 part water.
Bring water to the boil and dissolve the sugar into the boiling water, stirring constantly. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove the pot from the heat. Allow to cool completely and thicken and then use.
 
 
 
Ingredients used
 

Pastry skin looks like this
 
I have inserted macadamia nuts to both ends of the mooncake. Take note, push the macademia nut further in or else it may loosen after baking.
 
 
Apply egg wash and sesame seeds before baking
 
Done!
 

The skin is pretty crispy and overall taste not too bad!
Hope you can try out this recipe!
Happy Baking and wishing everyone a Happy Mid Autumn!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment