These are mini baked mooncakes. Using a recipe that I found from the Nasi Lemak Lover blog. I did not include any salted egg yolk. Just using ready made lotus paste and a handful of melon seeds.
The picture shows the mooncakes just baked. These will have to wait for 3 days before consumption so that the skin can become softer.
Mooncakes are eaten during the Mid Autumn Festival as well as pomelos.
325g Hong Kong Flour or super fine flour ( I used a mixture of 260gm top flour and 65gm plain flour)
225g Golden Syrup
75 gm cooking oil or peanut oil
1/2 tsp alkaline water
1. Sift the flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Mix the syrup, peanut oil and alkaline water, slowly pour into the flour.
3. Use a spoon, spatula or hands to mix till the dough forms. Cover and rest it for 1 hour.
4. After 1 hour, shape the balls into about 23gm each.
350gm lotus paste
30 gm melon seeds, toasted ( I did not toast)
1. Add the melon seeds to the paste, mix well.
2. Weigh into 16gm balls.
1. Flatten the pastry ball on a pc of plastic and place a lotus paste ball filling in the centre, wrap and seal the dough. I also applied a sprinkle of flour round the ball.
2. Press into a mini mooncake mould and flatten the ball into the mould using your palm.
3. Dust a little flour onto the top of pressed part.
4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
5. Place the mooncake with the pattern upright on the tray. Please put them with space about 1 inch apart.
6. Repeat till all done.
7. Make an egg wash using one eggyolk and a tablespoon of milk. Whisk .
8. Preheat oven to 180 deg celcius.
9. Bake for 7 minutes and remove from oven.
10. Cool for 15 minutes before applying egg wash and bake at 170 deg celcius for about 15 minutes till brown.
11. Remove and immediately cool on rack.
12. Keep in a plastic container about 3 days before consumption.
Picture shows the oil, golden syrup and alkali water.
Rolled lotus paste balls with melon seeds
Flatten the pastry dough
Wrap a lotus ball and put the ball into the mould
Flatten the dough into the mould
Press out and put patterned part upwards
Cool on a rack immediately after baking. Store in a plastic container.
Do not line the container or the oil will be absorbed.
Photo taken on the 4th when the oil has returned to the skin of the mooncakes - yes, ready to eat!