Saturday, 21 September 2013

Paong (terengganu sweet bread rolls)

I attempted making this bread 2 times. Yesterday, using a normal cake tin. Today for the sake of originality, I decided to go and get the enamel plate.

This recipe originates from Kuala Terengganu and the person used "Grandma's and modified by my mum" - There are many households who make this kind of bread and sell them. I am very thankful that this recipe has been shared and to be enjoyed by everyone.

It is soft inside and is recommended to eat with butter, kaya, dip into coffee and you can also put butter filling inside the dough before baking.

This is the enamel plate to use for making this bread.  I bought it in Yishun it costs me $3.20.
260g plain flour ( original says 200gm but I find the dough still sticky)
60gm caster sugar
1 egg room temperature
100 ml water
1/4 tsp instant yeast (original says 1/8 tsp)
  1. Dissolve sugar in water. Add in the yeast and the egg. Then use a spoon to stir the egg. Leave it to rest for 30 mins. You will see bubbles forming.
  2. Slowly add the flour and knead till dough is soft and doesn't stick to your fingers.  You can try with 100gm and add another 100 gm and then slowly add 20 gm by 20gm till it no longer feels sticky.
  3. Cover with cling wrap across the bowl and leave it to proof for 3 hours.
  4. Remove and divide into 18 pcs weighing 24 gm each. Knead each piece with some margarine on your fingers.
  5. Grease your enamel plate with margarine/butter and the arrange the dough in circles. I made a flower using 7 pcs of dough in the centre and 11 pcs on the outside of the flower. Place them slightly spaced apart.
  6. Wrap loosely with the same clingwrap and let it proof in your cupboard for 3 hours.
  7. Preheat the oven to 200 degree celcius.
  8. Bake at lower level for up to 15 minutes or till the bun is golden brown.
  9. I baked for only about 12 minutes.
  10. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
  11. You can put it back into the plate after cooling.
Yeast bubbling in the egg/sugar water mixture.

Dough after 3 hours proofing

18 balls of dough - I also wrap a tiny pc of hard cheese inside.

I cut the cheese really tiny because I was afraid if I didn't wrap the dough properly , the cheese will leak out.

After 2nd proofing another 3 hours.

After 12 minutes in the oven

Bottom of the buns. You can see can easily tear apart.
I hope next time I am able to brown the bottom part too. According to recipe, there should be browning. The bottom is a bit oily maybe due to the planta margarine I spread on the plate.
Hope you enjoyed my post and enjoy your bread.
Today I made again using my cornell oven n I used 180 celcius for 12 minutes. I have managed to get browned bottom.




No comments:

Post a Comment