Delicious and crunchy Golden Corn Sesame Cookies - great for Chinese New Year
This recipe is from Phoon Huat bakery class I attended some years back but first time baking them. So glad they turned out right!
Ingredients you need to use:
- 90gm salted butter - softened.
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract 1/4 teaspoon
- Caster sugar 65gm
- 1 egg 45gm to 55gm (without the shell)
- Roasted black sesame 23gm
- Plain flour 180gm
- Golden Corn Polenta Fine 60gm
- Baking powder 1/4 teaspoon
1. Cream the butter, salt, vanilla and sugar. Mix well.
2. Pan fry your black sesame seeds.
3. Add in the egg and mix well. I forgot to mix the egg first and combined everything.
I addded the egg, flour, corn, sesame, baking powder and mixed together.
Use low speed as the batter is a bit crumbly and flies out of the bowl.
4. This is how the batter looks like after I used the spatula to help make it into a ball.
Feels a bit oily because of the butter.
5. Sprinkle flour onto a baking tray. Flour your rolling pin.
Roll out the batter onto the baking tray to about 3/4 cm and keep in the fridge to let it semi firm.
This is how it looks like after rolling. Cover with cling film and put in fridge about 20 minutes. Prepare a small round or heart shaped cutter. You can use the cling flim to help you move the cut cookies to the tray.
7. Prepare 2 trays with baking sheet. Use your cutter to cut out the cookies and line them neatly onto the baking trays. Remainder batter to roll into a ball and flatten and cut again.
Bake at 170 C and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or till golden colour. I used 18 minutes.
Enjoy your cookies with your loved ones. Can make a jar of about 360gm cookies.
They are quite crunchy and fragrant.
Corn can be replaced with almond powder or semolina.
Hope you enjoy this post!