Translate

Monday 14 January 2013

Peanut Puffs (Kok Chye)


Peanut puffs, finally!! I yearned for them for so long since my mum passed away.  She made these every year for Chinese New Year and they are so good!  I remember helping my mum to pound the peanuts after she fries them in the wok. Sometimes I also help to cut out the pastry for her... these memories...

I googled for this recipe and found at least 3. One says to bake them but my mum always fries them in a wok. Mine are a bit larger than my mum so next time I shall try to make the pastry even thinner and cut out a smaller circle.

This recipe is from Malaysian Delicacies which adapted a recipe from Agnes Chang an author of cookbook and a TV host.

Ingredients

 
Filling
150 gm roasted and coarsely crushed peanuts (you may reduce as there is balance after cooking)
I used Tai Sun roasted peanuts but still I fried them slightly before use
3 tbsp fine sugar
1 tbsp oil ( I didnt use - fried without oil)
 
 
Please prepare fillings first as the pounding will take some time.
If you do not have a motar and pestle, you can place a chopping board on top of thick newspapers and use a greaseproof paper on top. Then pound your peanuts using a meat pounder.
 
 
 
 
Pastry Ingredients and steps
 
250gm Plain flour
25 gm butter/margarine ( I used 30gm slightly softened)
1 egg (beaten lightly with a pinch of salt and 2 tbsp of ice water)
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sieve the flour into a big mixing bowl and mix in the butter.  Make it into crumbs.
 
 




 
Add in the beaten egg bit by bit until a dough is formed. When making the dough, if too dry can still add a little water to it.
 
Knead until pliable and a non sticky dough is formed.
Chill the dough for half an hour in the fridge or room temperature. ( I used room temp)
 
 
 
The pastry looks like prata and feels like prata after I rolled it out.
 


Flatten the dough between two plastic sheets and roll to desired thickness.
 
 
Use a tart cutter or the rim of a small cup to cut out circular shape.
 
 
 
Apply water or egg to edges of the circle and spooon about 1 teaspoon of peanut filling to centre.
 
 
Fold into half , seal well, make sure no peanut sticking out and make a pattern round the edges.
 



 
I made a tray of 26 puffs. If you roll the pastry thinner you can make more.
Fry in medium heat till golden brown.
 
I used my Meyer electric deep fryer. Set at no. 4 temp. I fried batch by batch about 7-8 pcs a time. Drain on paper towels. Cool before storing.
 
 
 
 
There you have it! Homemade kok chyes!
 
I think you can also make curry puffs with this pastry. Just have to increase the amount as curry puffs are bigger size.
 

 
 


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment